[Research Paper] Educational Coaching “Who really dropped the ball?”
by Chantinique Langston, Master Educational Coach
The educational systems face a huge dilemma with the lack of participation from parents. Over 50% of educators across the state of Michigan believe that due to the lack of interest from parents has created a conflict of interest with students.
Acknowledgment: Special recognition comes from teachers from the Detroit Public School System (DPS), and Clinton Township (Charter School), and a host of supportive parents.
Abstract: Education Coaching is designed to assist Principles and Assistant Administration with many obstacles in regard to the welfare of their faculty staff. There are many issues that vary by priority however, at this time I want to focus the main issue regarding the lack of participation from parents.
Introduction: Educational Coaching have been around for over 45 years. This service have benefited so many teachers, principles, and even parents so they their experience with the children could be more effective in the classroom as well as in their leisure with parents.
Statement of the Problem: The problem unfortunately comes from the lack of participation that teachers are looking from parents. Most teachers experience complexity from students who made suffer from a lack of attention, and nurturing from home.
Significance of the Problem: The main issue is that parents lack participation in their child’s education. Not only does the child suffer, but also the teacher as well. Most educators take on the role of being a teacher, a mentor, a counselor, and sometimes a parent. Getting answers from parents regarding this issue could help educators and administrators understand and find solutions and common ground.
Steps to solve the problem:
(1) Speak to Active Parents: What patterns do they see? Asking this question will help the coach to go deeper into the issue that could be repetitious. After gathering enough data it will be time to eliminate the repetitious problem by creating positive reinforcement for both the parents and students
(2) Speak to Non Active Parents: Your voice matters. Many parents shy away from the school system due to several issues. However, the next step is to reassure and alert the parent that their present is needed during meetings, and etc
(3) Speak to students: Do parents matter? This is the chance to hear what the children have to say, and allow them express their view on how important their parents are to their education. This will open up simple solutions to reinforcing behavior, and minimize the stress on the teacher.
(4) Create social media apps, send email reminders, Newsletters, and special videos to parents to allow them to feel like they are a part of the school
(5) Create a Rally that demonstrates that parents, and teachers can work together to minimize the lack of participation in schools across the state of Michigan.
Coaching Purpose: The purpose of coaching is to provide focused support to help educators reach the goals they have set for students through the enactment of research-based best practices in teaching and leading. There are several benefits of Coaching in this area. You will always have a conflict that needs to be solved because different schools and grade levels vary. My services will offer One on One Coaching, Observational Coaching, Seminars, and Workshops. Services will also be extended to the students as empowerment and inspirational as well.
Assumptions: I assume that parents would be enlighten, and would want to at least try to understand that their voice matter in regards to their child’s education, and future endeavors.
Limitations: Certain Boards would be worried about funding from outsource organizations (such as yours truly), and the backlash of parents who really don’t care about the welfare of their child’s education.
Summary and Conclusions: After conversing with all parties the conclusion would be that parents would get more involved with assisting teachers so that the teacher can focus on their job description, and minimize the position of being the students parent.
Definition of Terms: Educational Coaching is a transform teachers and leaders to improve the quality of education for all students. Coaching can also help teachers and leaders contextualize district goals or practices that they are learning in district or school professional development, ultimately applying them in their own classrooms.
Sources of Data: Most of the data came from the following sources: (1) Center of Educational Leadership (University of Washington) (2) The Power of Educational Coaching Retrieved by www.edutopia.org (3) Educational Leadership Coaching Retrieved by www.ascd.org
Recommended Coaching Model: Educational Coaching Model
Recommended Coaching Tool: Educational Coaching Tools
Master Educational Coach