How to Start a Relationship Coaching Business
Starting a relationship coaching business is one of the most profitable coaching businesses you can start. Individuals will pay to fix their relationship problems before they pay for other types life coaching services. If you are thinking of starting a relationship coaching business here are some steps to begin today.
1. Decide the type of relationship coach you want to be and who you want to serve.
There are many sub-niches within relationship coaching you can go into.
Some examples are:
- Marriage Coach
- Newlywed Coach
- Premarital Coach
- Relationship Repair Coach
- Dating Coach
- Family Coach
- Family/Marital Coach
- Blended Family Coach
- Parenting Coach
- Codependency Coach
- Emotional Dependency Coach
- Narcissistic Abuse Recovery Coach
- Domestic Violence Recovery Coach
- Divorce Recovery Coach
2. Learn how to coach and help people with their relationship problems. A good relationship coach training program will teach you how to coach couples and individuals with their relationship problems. It will teach you how to conduct a coaching session and how to get your clients results. Also, certification will allow your clients to have confidence in your services. No matter what coaching business you decide to go into, continuing your education is vital.
3. Read all the books you can on the psychology of relationships and books about the area you want to go into.
Some great books to consider are:
- The 5 Love Languages: The Secret to Love that Lasts
- The Seven Principles for Making Marriage Work: A Practical Guide from the Country’s Foremost Relationship Expert
- The State of Affairs CD: Rethinking Infidelity This is awesome. You get to see actual counseling sessions.
- Games People Play: The Basic Handbook of Transactional Analysis.
[Full Disclosure: As an affiliate, I receive commission if you purchase any of these books on Amazon once you click the link]
4. Join groups and forums related to the area of relationship coaching you want to go into so you can start learning more about the types of problems that your market is having. And don’t be afraid to answer questions you are qualified to answer. This will establish you as an expert in your niche.
5. Decide the type of services, programs, and products you want to create to begin making money as a relationship coach. Then take your time and begin creating them. There are many ways you can make money as a coach.
Here are a few examples:
- 1-on-1 Relationship Coaching
- Couple Coaching
- Group Coaching (Group coaching for couples, group coaching for women, etc.)
- Retreats (Couple retreats, family retreats, etc.)
- Relationship Books
- Relationship Courses (local or online)
- Relationship Workshops (local or online)
- Relationship Seminars
6. Get your coaching agreements and forms together.
There are many forms you need to have in place when starting your coaching business.
Some forms you may want to consider are:
- Coaching Agreements
- Background Questionnaires
- Intake Forms
- Confidentiality Agreements
- Self Assessment Worksheets
- Couples Coaching Plan
- Goals and Action Plan Worksheets
- Payment Letters
7. Begin content marketing and start establishing yourself as an expert. The best way to get people interested in your services and programs is to start putting content online. When someone searches for informational help with their relationships, you want to ensure that your content and website comes up in the search engines.
Some ideas you can begin doing today include starting a:
Relationship Blog – You can write about relationship issues, give tips, and how-tos like my good friends and graduates of Universal Coach Institute, Ball N Chainz.
Relationship Youtube channel – You can discuss relationship issues, give tips, and how-tos related to your niche like another good friend and a graduate of Universal Coach Institute, Angie Atkinson who specializes in Narcissistic Abuse Recovery.
Podcast – Just like a blog or YouTube channel you can start a podcast giving tips, advice, and how-tos and upload it to Itunes for maximum exposure. You can also interview other relationship experts to make your podcast a hit and build your following.
8. Next, you need to create a lead magnet and start building a list. List building and email marketing is the number one and most effective marketing method to date. Your lead magnet should be something that will help your prospects get a quick win so they can see that your methods work.
- [Video Training] 3 Tips to Diffuse an Argument with Your Husband and Get Back to Loving Again
- [Guide] Beginners Guide to Overcoming Emotional Dependency
- [Ebook] 10 Signs Your Marriage is Headed for a Divorce and How to Save It Today!
This will help you to build your list, build relationships, and offer your programs.
9. Create your own community to gather prospects who need a place to congregate and talk about their problems, while you offer up free tips and your paid programs to help. You can create a Facebook group or Google+ community.
10. Take it further and host a free 2-hour local event once a month. This is another way to begin getting yourself out there and establishing yourself as the expert and offering your programs. If you keep your local events to 2-hours once a month this will keep your cost down. Some ideas include:
- Girls/Boys Night Out
- Couples Night Out
- Siblings Night Out
- Couples Game Night
- Family Game Night
- Recovery Groups
These are the exact steps you should take to start a relationship coaching business. Starting any kind of business takes time. So don’t get overwhelmed and try to do it all at once. Complete one step at a time and before you know it, you will have a fully functional full-time coaching business you will love.
Get started today and become a Certified Relationship Coach.
If you have questions about these steps or other suggestions leave your comments below.